Tuesday, 14 July 2009

Google Latitude or Google Big Brother?

I had heard about a new iPhone app which would run on top of Google Maps to show you where all your friends were. I didn't know it was a Google app. Now this throws me into an uncertain frame of mind. I mean on one hand it's a Google app and I really do love what Google does and think that they have revolutionised the Web 2.0 world and then on the other I can't help but feel unsettled about the Orwellian context this new app has. Maybe we're best to make friends with Big Brother now so at least we can say we loved him before he even asked us to? Before you comment telling me that you can switch the feature off, I already know that.

The thing is, it is beginning to become obvious (to me at least) that we are getting to a point where we know what all our friends and even people we accepted on Facebook but didn't really know are doing. We all have those friends...the ones who invited us and we felt bad that we didn't remember their name so we accepted them. We know what they like, where they'll be tonight (or at least what they've told us), where they work, where they used to work, education history and who they know. I'm no different, I'm the same.

Not everyone has twitter, but I got into that too. I love the fact I can get tweets from people I look up to as well as other friends and people who happen to look up to the same people as I. It's a really great networking tool.

With society at the dawn of Web 3.0...that is if you accept the terminology Web 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 as there's some out there who say there is no Web 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0, it's all just the Internet and it's an evolving thing. OK! Putting all that semantic crap aside, should Web 3.0 be labelled as Stalking 2.0? It seems that with all these social networking sites and now with the advent of Google Latitude we are putting vast amounts of personal data out there for the world to see.

Maybe working in IT was a bad move. Looks like marketing is going to get a hell of a lot easier. Get lots of friends on Facebook and Twitter and you're set! You'll know everything you need to know or become a politician and bam! You now know what a pretty vast amount of people candidly think.

Well, I hope that I'm just a paranoid freak who is completely wrong and this all turns out to be used for good and increases productivity in the work place and helps people become more efficient managing all the information they wish to read online.

Google, btw, I don't hatez you yet and really for all we know, if this kind of stuff gets used for evil and not for what you intended then maybe you're akin to Einstein bringing nuclear energy out there and those evil doers could be the ones who use the technology for atomic and nuclear weapons...just maybe.

Like always...

You win! I ROCK!
Good night Seattle.

No comments:

Post a Comment