Tuesday, 28 July 2009

Is it me or society?

Forgive the narcissism, I understand the world does not revolve around me. I do however still feel that there are issues in society that the average person would probably shrug off as petty. Many of my friends seem to find these issues petty. I on the other hand, do not. Therefore I ask the question, is it me or society?

For instance, when on the road at an intersection you find that someone needs to go into the left turning lane (this is written in Australia for those unsure of the scenario), not to turn left, not to pull over once they get across the intersection or not to take the first left after the intersection but to overtake people who have been waiting at the lights before them. On the surface we see someone who probably just doesn't like waiting at lights and may even have a faster car than most and hates being stuck behind people. Yes? Maybe...maybe we have someone who holds true narcissism. Is it not more probable that somewhere in their psyche they believe that they are more important than others, even if somehow ingrained subconsciously?

I do believe this is an issue that is deeper than cutting someone off on the road or pushing into a queue. It feels as though there is some kind of global narcissism occurring and I can only see that ending in disaster. If not in the next 5-10 years, it might go on for a lot longer. If we were to suffer further economic downturn, so much so that the entire global financial system falls to the ground or if we have another war that spreads our military force out more so that it begins to look like an elastic band on breaking point, then what will society do? Could it really handle life like it was during WWII or even the great depression?

I expect people will inform me that there were people in society back then too that did what they wanted and only thought of themselves. I agree, I imagine there were; I also imagine that there's many more people like this today. If we stay as a "Me, me, me" society then we will face extraordinary times when the world faces it's next big global catastrophe.

Now bringing it all back to the beginning of this post; is it me or society? I ask you. Only you can tell me as I am no longer sure.

You win! I ROCK!
Good night Seattle.

No comments:

Post a Comment